Anticipating achieving clearer vision with this course. I chose "healing from inside out" to help define my journey towards personal wellness so that I can serve others whose paths cross with mine.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Well-Being Self Assessment 0->10 Scale

1) Physical - 7/10:  I am proactive in my healthcare.  I feel healthy, am well-nourished, work to maintain my weight but lack routine in exercise.  I have a physically active job that helps me to stay strong.  Aging gracefully is challenging.
Spiritual - 8/10:  I am a Christian and have a strong faith in God.  I appreciate His presence in my life and rely on my Christianity to give me inner strength and wisdom.   I have a daily inner dialogue with the Lord and want Him to direct my steps.  I am often sensitive to the "kindred spirit" between believers in ordinary daily encounters.
Psychological - 6/10:  Being more of a Type A personality gives me a mindset of practicality that seeks to find order out of the chaos in my lifestyle.  Worry creates insomnia as I try to solve problems.  Emotionally I struggle as I seek to travel through life on the other side of divorce and transitioning into the empty nest stage with grow children.

2) Goals:  Physical:  Incorporate exercise 1 hr after work 2-3 time per week.
Spiritual:  Pray for someone at every stoplight.  Seek solitude daily 10 minutes minimum daily to read or purposefully meditate.
Psychological:  Acknowledge an area of concern (name and not blame) to try to overcome worry which produces insomnia.

3) Proactive choices:  Physical:  Go for a walk, go to the gym at least 1 hr 2-3 times per week.
Spiritual:  Shut my bedroom door to seek solitude and detach from the world to seek God.
Psychological:  Practice relaxation techniques at bedtime to produce a peace and release of the cares of my day.

4)  Rainbow Meditation:  I enjoy visualization and found this meditation peaceful as it helped me identify areas (chakras) with associated colors of the rainbow.  I thought of teaching my children Roy G Biv to remember the color spectrum of the rainbow.  I have more to associate those colors with listening to this meditation.  Red(base of spine)- grounding, Orange(abdomen)- centering, Yellow(upper abdomen)- being loved, Green(heart)- loving, Blue(throat)- meaningful purpose, Indigo(forehead)- balance, Violet(crown)- connected.  All colors combined Brilliant White- purity.  In my life I remember the lesson of "after the rain, the rainbow" and enjoyed the imagery of this meditation.

3 comments:

  1. Very realistic outlook for this week's blog work as it shows some strengths, but it also appears that there is a progressive outlook based on what you indicated. Looks great!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara it seems that you know your strengths and weakness and have a good plan in place to work on those. I think many of us would like to incorporate more exercise into our lives. It can help on so many levels including helping with your insomnia. Also by shutting your door and being alone you can work on the preparation of stillness and silence. I too enjoyed the relaxation technique as it was easier to visualize the colors and relax. Good luck with your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara you have things pretty well together. This is wonderful news. You mention type A,I can fully understand. A tip someone gave me regarding sleep and worry, mixed with a bit of humor that helped me. They said,as you are thinking of a problem while lying in bed, imagine yourself getting up in your pajamas and going to speak to that person, or giong to work in your pajamas to fix it. Then realize there is nothing right at this moment you can do, so you might as well sleep! And tomorrow when you put some clothes on you can handle it then. The idea of me going to work in my pajamas to solve a problem cred that quick and a dose of laughter, or horror helped :)

    ReplyDelete