Anticipating achieving clearer vision with this course. I chose "healing from inside out" to help define my journey towards personal wellness so that I can serve others whose paths cross with mine.

Monday, September 20, 2010

“Man’s mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimension.” Oliver Wendell Holmes


Beginning the journey with the contemplative practice of Loving-Kindness initially found me struggling with staying on task to truly nurture the emotional sense of love and kindness.  Each day I listened to the tape while getting ready for work and again at the end of the day as I drifted off to sleep.  What I have discovered is that I need to not multi-task or be tired to do this contemplative practice.  I would be distracted or I fell asleep.  Making a conscious effort to allow myself to release emotions with my eyes closed while seated in solitude brought a new awareness to my being that there are areas in which I harbor resentment, disillusionment and cynicism that blocks me from adopting loving-kindness to let it flow from within to the world around me. 

I do find it challenging to commit time to developing my inner self but I agree with Dacher’s text in that my diligence should reap a benefit to help me expand my consciousness to evolve my integral health to a new level of healing and well-being.  Time management feels crucial to allow myself space to pursue this new level of entry into my inner being.  I need to consciously pencil out a daily time to pursue this practice.  When I have met other people who are at peace with themselves and the world around them it has made a positive impression on me.  Seeking the fruit of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galations 5:22) brings wholeness.

3 comments:

  1. Barbara, I love the quote you chose as the title of this post! I have been familiar with it the last few years and have pondered it often. :-)

    I found the exercise challenging to complete while multi-tasking, too. You pointed out an integral part of Dacher's text, though, that well being does not come without training and effort. The fruits of the Spirit are all worthy pursuits and well worth the effort it takes to develop them. Thanks so much for your insight!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara. Even though your time is limited it looks like you somehow are able to inspire me as well. Thank you for your loving kindness, and wise words. I guess the tape did work. You now have Erin and me feeling the loving kindness of the qute you choose to share. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara;
    Thank you for the Galatian 5:22 verse on your blog. And I agree with you that the practice of Loving-Kindness required a moment of quietness, a moment to retire from all the hassles of the day, and it was a moment to dissolve any hard feelings, resentment, and any anger harbored within us. There is a lot going on in our lives right now; many times you cant even get yourself to watch the news because there is always something that could make you sad, angry, afraid, and so unsure and hopeless about a better tomorrow. So, for me this exercise/practice gave me an opportunity to retire from all this uncertainity, fear, and anger; and gave me time to focus on nurturing the fruit of the Spirit:love, kindness, happiness, peace, gentleness, selflessness; and allowing them to flourish.

    ReplyDelete